Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Walking Cliche

Actually it should be "driving cliche".

I rented a car for the first time in my life. Don't laugh: if you live in downtown Toronto and your parents aren't around, you will be like me too. Being under 25 and holding a G2 license, I was able to get a car for 88 bucks a day(plus whatever gas I used up by the end of the day). It's a crazy price, but I needed to practice for my coming G test as well as dealing with some errands here and there.

So here I am, an Asian woman, driving.

What's worse: the car rental place decided to give me a Toyota Corrola.

Woohoo!!

What's worst: I perfectly, 100% match this stereotype. Haven't driven for almost 2 years, my driving skills were rotten and smelt like H2S. I still feel sorry for the terrified passenger. And I had to go through unimaginable situations: closed highways; extreme cold alert weather; blowing snow storm on hwy 7, when I had to use the anti-freezing liquid on the windshield every 5 seconds; got stuck in ice and went out only after 2 guys decided to help push the car.

What a day.

On the bright side, I only got honked once and made back home alive. There wasn't much car damage, except a scrape when backing out from the ice holes and worn tires. At the end of the day I was much more confident with driving, and got a lot braver.

Did I mention I improved too?

6 comments:

Muhammad Ali said...

Not to alarm you or anything, but Asian reporter Tricia Takanawa is dead. At least it wasn't due to a car accident.

Jane Shen said...

such ignorance.
Takanawa and Tanaka are two completely different last names.
If you can't read Japanese, you should at least be able to tell the different between a word with 8 letters and a word with 6 letters.

Muhammad Ali said...

i know they're different... but its obvious that Lost was making a reference to Family Guy. You should watch more TV.

Jane Shen said...

as long as my lovely representation isn't dead. :)

carmen said...

i'm so proud of you, jane! you are my driving heroin ;) lol no worries, your G-unit licensed in no time!!

Thuan said...

lol...